Why Choose Outdoor Odysseys?
What a great adventure we had - fabulous paddling (and weather), terrific guides, yummy food, rugged coastlines and magnificent creatures (Orcas, seals, eagles), beautiful campsites and walks, and wonderful camaraderie. Thanks again to Sarah and Jonathan for leading us safely and making it fun while learning a bit on the side. Not a bad 4-day combination! - San Juan 4 Day Eagles and Orcas Tour
We recognize that you have a variety of different outfitters to choose from when coming on a sea kayaking tour in the San Juan Islands. Here are a few thoughts to consider when selecting your San Juan outfitter...
- Whales - The absolute "best" place to kayak and see whales is on the west side of San Juan Island. Outdoor Odysseys leaves from San Juan County Park - the "premier" launch spot for viewing whales if they are in the area.
- Lunches - We are the only kayak company to provide lunches on our day tours - saving you the time and hassle of getting a lunch together. To shave costs - some SJ outfitters don't even provide lunches on their overnight tours.
- Dry Bags - We provide high quality Cascade Designs dry bags to keep your clothing and gear secure and dry on both our day and overnight tours. One SJ company suggests you line your pack with a garbage bag - and hope that it stays dry?!
- Our Guides - Beyond good food, beautiful place to paddle, etc. - the most crucial factor to having a great kayaking tour is the quality of your guide(s). Unlike some companies, we don't hire guides right out of college. In fact, the average age of our guides at Outdoor Odysseys is 29 and guide for us for anywhere from 2-6 years.
- Our Trip Food - This is another area where some SJ companies can cut corners. We use only high quality ingredients in our exceptional camp cuisine including organically grown produce, real butter, real maple syrup, good coffee and bottled wines.
When you combine delicious food, friendly, knowledgeable customer service and great guides, the bottom line is that with Outdoor Odysseys you receive a quality, memorable vacation. We've been here since 1987, and as one of the oldest and most respected kayak companies in the San Juans offering sea kayaking with orca whales and wildlife viewing, we've learned a few things about what makes for a quality outing. Here are a few factors to consider when making your vacation plans...
Our trips have always been designed with an abiding respect and concern for our environment. Our guides share their passion for the unique ecosystem of the San Juan Islands in a variety of ways. We practice low impact camping, make a habit of leaving any campsite cleaner than we found it and follow accepted wildlife viewing ethics. We also grow some of our own organic fruits and vegetables as well as support local island farmers. Outdoor Odysseys is an active member of a variety of local environmental organizations working to protect the islands including the San Juan Preservation Trust, People for Puget Sound and The Whale Museum.